Tuesday, May 21, 2013

{WIWW} College Dining Hall

Kennesaw State has gone through a lot of changes in the past seven years since Chris has been there with RUF.  It is in the process of moving from being a commuter campus to a traditional campus with on-campus housing, a dining hall, and a football team.

The KSU Commons (the campus dining hall) was built 3 years ago.  Chris has had weekly lunches there with the students for the past couple years and has always raved about how good the food is.  Yes, he loves the campus dining hall.  How many of you can say that about your college campuses?  Mine wasn't awful, but I certainly took every opportunity I had to eat elsewhere.

A few weeks ago Chris took the girls and me to the KSU Commons for lunch.  And you know what?  I was super impressed.

But first thing is first- today is Wednesday so here's what I wore (to the KSU dining hall):















Scarf: Target
Cardigan: GAP
Shirt: GAP
Pants: J Crew
Shoes: GAP

It was a pretty spring day for walking across campus, so the bright colors were appropriate.  I got these green pants in college (how appropriate...) and was obsessed with them- ask my roommates.  I remember prancing around my apartment with them on for several days... They are very comfy (although this particular day they were a bit tight because let's be honest there's still a few more pounds of baby weight that will eventually need to come off) and they're GREEN!  Yes, I love the green.  I think it goes well with the orange cardigan and patterned scarf.

I might have stuck out a bit on campus where most people roll into the dining hall in yoga pants and a t-shirt, but then again we also had two kids with us so that probably made us stick out even more in a college dining hall.  But you know the surprising thing?  They had multiple high chairs and booster seats available, so we must not be the only family who dines there...



One of the most impressive things about this dining hall is that, at least in word, it is attempting to be local, green and self-sustaining.  Not only do they feature some organically gown produce, but they also feature local produce and grow some of their own lettuce in hydroponic containers that are located around the perimeter of the dining hall.

The variety and healthy options are significantly larger than when I was in college.

hydroponic lettuce










Not at all healthy, but they also have one of these amazing soda machines (Coca-Cola Freestyle) that has over 100 Coke product options




You know you're not in college anymore when...



you can no longer make a Belgian waffle at the waffle machine.

FAIL


Did you have waffles at the dining hall in college?  I ate them ALL THE TIME.  How was your college food?  Have you been back to a college dining hall since graduating?


Linking up with: Pleated Poppy, Random Wednesdays 


3 comments:

  1. haha too funny about the waffle and YES I made them all the time too! Our college food was delicious and fattening... I don't think I even paid attention to the healthy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the prange & green combo - so cute! And that poor poor waffle :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  3. they grow their own lettuce?! wow! I'm impressed! Love the orange colors, I pulled that color out this week too :))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make my day!