Sunday, April 21, 2013

Ponderings of a second child

When Phoebe was born, I didn't fully appreciate the joys of having an only child.  To be able to coo and cuddle with your baby with no other concerns.   I don't know if it will ever be that way again.  Is it?  I had forgotten what that was like until last week.

We drove up to South Carolina last Wednesday for a few days to look for houses.  Talking to a realtor and going through houses with a toddler sounded like a bit more than I could handle, so Chris drove Phoebe up to Chattanooga to stay with Mamo and Papo for a few days.  I missed her like crazy, don't get me wrong, BUT to only have one baby for a few days was AMAZING!

My big girl who I missed for several days-
How could I not miss that sweet face and sassy personality?







Being at home on Tuesday with just Haddie Grace was so sweet (and quiet!!).  To be able to cuddle with her and hold her and just stare at her sweet face was a luxury I've missed with Phoebe running around.  I turned off the TV and thoroughly enjoyed the silence.  With Phoebe I remember holding her and just staring at her for hours on end.  Phoebe sleeping was entertainment for me.  Now, if Haddie Grace is sleeping I'm either trying to love on Phoebe, wash dishes, or fold laundry; I hardly enjoy staring at her the same way I did with my first.  




And one baby is SOO easy!  Now, don't get me wrong, I certainly didn't think that the first time around.  I wish I had enjoyed and appreciated it more when I had the chance, but that's just not the way it works.  After having two kids for a month, going back down to one newborn who just eats, sleeps, and poops was a breeze.  I never could have taken a road trip with Phoebe when she was a month old.  In fact, I was still an emotional wreck at that point in time.  But taking Haddie Grace last week was no big deal.

Thankfully Phoebe LOVES her cousins, so she had a great time while we were gone.  Honestly, I'm not sure she missed me at all.



I'm glad Phoebe is back now.  




Yes, when we are driving up to South Carolina this week with both girls, remind me that I said this...

 
 





Linking up with Mom's Monday Mingle // Monday Mingling


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. This really gives me something to think about... and to make sure I enjoy all the "baby" time while he is still little!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a great perspective on things :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen - the pictures of your kiddos are adorable! I love one on one time with my kids, that time is priceless. I love having these special days with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting to read this perspective from someone with two kids. I am going to try my best to appreciate just having one baby at a time (whenever we have a kid, that is). Glad she had fun away from mom and dad!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make my day!