Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Unemployed

Yesterday was my last day of work.  Well, it was supposed to be my last day of work, but I got force-flexed off.  (Meaning they had a low-census on the floor so they force you to stay home and not come to work.)  I honestly didn't mind.  I am kind-of over working right now anyways.  In fact, last week I cleaned out my locker and put everything in my car "just in case"  Not "just in case" I got flexed off, but "just in case" I had the baby.  Of course I'm still pregnant.  But I certainly enjoyed having an two extra naps yesterday and some unexpected down-time.
So now I am officially unemployed, or a complete Stay At Home Mom (SAHM) if you will.  When we found out we were moving to South Carolina this summer I went ahead and turned in my notice at work.  Since I am only a resource employee, I don't have maternity benefits; it made sense to make a clean break before I had the baby.  

Anyhow, the point is I'm not sure how I feel about this change.  I've always worked.  Now I'm not; it feels a little funny.  I've only been working minimal hours since Phoebe was born and it has been great.  I feel like I have the best of both worlds.  I get to be home with her the majority of the time, yet still got to engage in meaningful work outside the home.  And although we have always agreed to live off of one income, having the extra "fun" money certainly is a nice bonus.

A lot of people have asked me if I am going to find a job in South Carolina, and my answer is I do not know.  I think I would like to.  The idea of staying home all the time has both positives and negatives in my mind.  I'm afraid I will get bored.  I love PFB (and I'm sure I'll love the new one just as much) but I think I would go crazy without a little time out of the house away from them using a practical skill.  But at the same time I don't think I will be able to find a job that is as flexible as I have right now.  I currently work once a week for 8 hours from 7am-3pm.  Not very many hospitals still offer 8 hour shifts for hospital floor nursing.  And of course going to a new hospital I will lose all seniority and most likely have to start at the bottom of the ladder working night shift.  I'm not sure I want to work night shift again.  I certainly could if I had to, but it doesn't sound very appealing.  I would also probably have to work more hours than I am currently working, which would mean finding a nanny or some sort of childcare.  (Which I'm sure would be totally do-able, just another thing to arrange.)

I haven't really started to seek out job opportunities in South Carolina or Charlotte yet.  I asked around about several hospitals, but that's about it.  And I'm sure I could look into office or clinic work as well, but I am still enjoying bedside nursing.  We'll get through the new baby and see what happens, but just some random thoughts for you on a Tuesday.

If you have made the transition from working to a SAHM, how did it go?  Do you like it?  Are there things you miss about being in your particular career or work-place?  If you don't have kids but are planning to some day do you think you will continue to work or stay at home with them?

I realize it is such a personal decision to figure out what is best for you and your family and there is no one solution that is right for everyone.  We're just trying to figure out what is going to work for us as I mourn this status change for the time being.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if I could stay at home and not work either, so props to you for doing it for your kids! I think that's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a SAHM but a SAHW. hence my blog. Where you live makes all the difference. I'm in rural GA and it;s a little lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about it being weird to not work (I'm actually out of work right now, not by choice), but I know you will LOVE being able to stay at home with your new baby! Also.... okay, I can't remember if it was you I was talking to about photo books. Sorry if it wasn't! But I saw an awesome Living Social deal for My Publisher. Here's the link: https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/624498?ref=share-link-post&rpi=109158562&rui=1047004 You can get a book for $5! Just wanted to let you know. Maybe you can make a cute little baby photo book or something. (And again, sorry if that wasn't you.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just got my check for $500.

    Many times people don't believe me when I tell them about how much money you can earn by taking paid surveys from home...

    So I show them a video of myself actually getting paid over $500 for filling paid surveys.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make my day!