Tuesday, October 9, 2012

All things pumpkin!

Not only do I love the cooler weather Fall brings, but I love all things pumpkin! Pumpkin bread, pumpkin coffee, pumpkin muffins, doughnuts, ice cream- you name it!  Oh and Fall brews- Oktoberfest and Pumpkin Ale.  Love it!  So sad to be missing that this year...

I take no credit for this recipe.  A friend of mine had made some pumpkin spice coffee creamer as a shower favor and it smelled so good I had to take the recipe and make some for myself!  Its too good not to share!

Pumpkin Spice Creamer

  • 1c whole milk
  • 1c heavy cream
  • 3-4 Tbls pumpkin puree         
  • 1 tsp pumpkin spice
  • 4 Tbls maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon

Whisk milk, cream, pumpkin, syrup, and pumpkin spice together over medium heat.  When it gets steamy remove from heat and add vanilla.  Use strainer to transfer cream into a jar.  Let cool down and chill in fridge.  Pour in coffee (with some sugar) curl up with a book and a blanket to enjoy a sweet fall treat.







So then after I made the creamer, I had practically a whole can of pumpkin that couldn't go to waste.  So I made my annual batch of homemade pumpkin bread.  (I typically make a homemade batch once and then we eat the box kind for the rest of fall.)

Pumpkin Bread

  • 3 1/2 c all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp nutmeg
  • 3 c sugar
  • 4 beaten eggs
  • 16 oz canned pumpkin*
  • 2/3 c water
  • 1 c vegetable oil (I substitute coconut oil)
  • 1 c chocolate chips
Pre-heat oven to 350.  Combine all dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.  Add eggs, water, oil, and pumpkin.  Mix well.  Stir in chocolate chips.**  Pour into two greased 9x5 loaf pans.  Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Cool 15 minutes in pan then on rack.





*I have had this recipe for a long time.  Really not sure where it came from at this point.  The original recipe called for 16oz canned pumpkin.  One can of pumpkin is 15 oz.  You could probably use 1 can. I typically get two cans and use a bit more than 16 because I like pumpkin :)

** You avid bakers might know this trick, but I JUST learned this last year.  If you dust your chocolate chips with flour before adding to bread it will keep the chips from sinking to the bottom of the pan and creating a "chocolate crust"  The flour keeps the chips dispersed through out the bread so you can have a chip in each bite.  Pumpkin bread is not nearly as good without the chocolate chips.



I also consider myself somewhat of an ice cream connoisseur.  I really try to eat healthy but ice cream is my one big vice.  I eat ice cream seven nights/week- no joke.  And I have tried some really terrible pumpkin ice cream.  But this year, I have found the one.  THE pumpkin ice cream that I will now purchase each year for years to come.


Turkey Hill Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream.  There is a generous swirl of cinnamon graham cracker swirl that make this ice cream irresistible.  You need to go to the grocery store today and try it.  I promise you will not be disappointed.

For the record I am not a huge fan of Dunkin' Donuts.  I do love their coffee, but I'm typically not a big fan of their donuts and other food items.  The other morning I was running late for work and did not have time to make coffee.  So I ran through Dunkin' Donuts drive-through because if for no other reason outside of ritual I cannot go to work in the morning without my coffee.  (I also get very grumpy if I go into work and it is so busy I don't have a chance to actually drink it.)  Anyhow,  I making small talk with the lady at the window about how excited I was that it was pumpkin season.  She asked me if I had tried their pumpkin donuts.  No.  So she gave me 2 complimentary pumpkin munchkins to try.  Let me tell you- those were good.  Certainly worth a trip back to DD.

What are your favorite pumpkin treats this fall??


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make my day!