Thursday, June 28, 2012

Whew!

I have been working full-time this past month, and let me tell you it has been something else!  I have SO MUCH more respect for moms who work full-time.  Seriously, I don't know how you do it!  I have only done it for 4 weeks and I am exhausted and feeling inadequate.

Because the hospital has been SO short staffed they offered a summer incentive for PRN employees to work full-time for a contact period of 4, 8, 12 weeks.  They were offering a pretty generous compensation that made it sound very appealing, but the question was what to do with Phoebe.  Aubra (Chris' intern at KSU with RUF) was looking for a summer job, so it worked out that we were able to offer her a month of employment working as a nanny.  And as a side note, she has been WONDERFUL!  She has taken her to the pool, taken Phoebe and Knox for walks regularly, has been really patient with Phoebe working with her to eat, and has really worked with her on her speech therapy and physical therapy exercises!!  THANK YOU AUBRA!

This was my last week of my four week contract.  Whew!

On the one hand I really enjoyed being back at the hospital so much.  I do love my job and it is nice to be outside the house socializing with adults vs. babbling at home all day and fighting to feed a baby.  But on the other hand I felt like things that I am used to being able to do fairly easily (in relation to this past month) such as cooking dinner, keeping my floors clean, making food for Phoebe, and staying on top of laundry were slipping out of my control.  Little chores I wanted to get done (that are hard enough to find time to do with a baby and puppy) were simply pushed aside for a month.  I hated feeling like I had to rush home to see and play with Phoebe, feed Phoebe, cook dinner, clean up, put the baby to bed, make lunch for the next day, and by that time it was typically past my bed time.  And then of course there is my wonderful husband who I would like to spend some time with as well!  I did miss some of that time crawling around on the floor, babbling, singing silly songs, and over exaggerating everything.  I also missed being able to get up and run in the mornings and exercise on a consistent basis.

It was definitely a good experience trying to juggle it all, but at this point working full-time is not for me.  However, if I was given another opportunity to do it for a short stint of time I absolutely would, knowing there was an ending point.  The extra money has been nice.  I am going to set aside some of it to do a little shopping at some point.  But in the mean time, we need a new vacuum, shelving for the garage for storage space, a longer hose that reaches the garden, a new file cabinet (our old one is rusted from water damage and has been in the garage for several years), and a new bookshelf for all Chris' books (that are currently in piles on the floor for lack of shelf space).  I'd also like to take some of that money to throw a party for Phoebe's birthday too.  Basically lots of little things that really just don't work into the budget on a month to month basis.

Some of my favorite times over the past month have been bath-time because we can play in the tub in the evening before she goes down for bed.  One of her favorite things is trying to grab the water running down out of the faucet.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make my day!