Monday, February 20, 2012

Diaper Doodie Update

Diaper Doodie has taken on a new meaning with the introduction to solid foods.  More adult-like food means more adult-like poop.  Breast milk poop was fine to throw in the washing machine- adult-like poop is not.

I had told Chris before Phoebe was born that when this time came we would purchase and install a diaper sprayer to our toilet to spray out the diapers in the toilet.  But now that the time is here,  I don't want to spend the money.  Part of the decision to use cloth was for the financial benefit.  So spending $45 on a diaper sprayer is not high on my list.




So what did I do instead?  I spent $3.00 on a pair of rubber gloves and this is now what diaper doodie looks like at the Bowen household.



Gross, right?  Luckily it doesn't bother me.  After I change her I take the dirty diaper to the toilet, dump, scrap or rinse it out and throw it into our wet bag to be washed with the next load of diapers.

Another option is flushable liners.  And really I will probably break down and buy these very soon.  (Update, I just purchased some Bumkins diaper liners so I'll let you know what I think of them soon.   The liners go inside the diaper next to her bottom and "catch" any solid waste.  So at diaper change time you can simply dump the liner and its contents in the toilet and flush.  They are soft against the baby's skin yet strong enough so that they do not disintegrate.  I don't think I will use them on a regular basis but they will be very helpful for when we are out or when someone else is caring for her.  I would never ask anyone else to grab some rubber gloves to swish out her diapers.  When people keep her at the house I have just had them leave the dirty diapers in the toilet for me to clean out later.  And when she goes to the church nursery or childcare at the church while I'm at bible study I just have them put the dirty diaper back in the wet bag for me to take care of when I get home.  But it would be much easier if whoever is keeping her could just toss the liner in the toilet.


Update- LOVE the liners.  I just dump the solid waste in the toilet and everything is good to go!  The rubber gloves and scrubbing got old pretty quickly...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make my day!