Tuesday, January 31, 2012

AHHHH

Finally Phoebe learned to rollover from her belly to her back.  She had rolled over a several times previously, but nothing consistent.  The Friday we got Knox is the day she started rolling over consistently!  We were so excited.  (Its the little things...)  She was 5 1/2 months old.  Better late than never.

But there are two sides to every coin and the flip side of her new trick is that she doesn't nap as well anymore.  Before she knew how to rollover, life was bliss.  Phoebe would wake up between 7 and 7:30.  She would go back down for a nap at 10am and sleep for about an hour and a half.  She would wake up happy eat and play and then go back down for a nap at 1.  This time she would sleep 2 - 2 1/2 hours.   Most of the time she would take another little cat nap sometime in the late afternoon/early evening and then go to bed at 8pm.

Phoebe naps on her belly or at least used to nap on her belly.  Now she rolls over, doesn't go to sleep, cries, and if she does fall asleep she wakes up 30 minutes later on her back- crying.  I used to just be able to lay her down in the crib on her belly, walk away, and she would go to sleep on her own.  Now I've tried everything- swaddling her for naps, half swaddling her, rocking her, patting her back.  And I cannot get this child to nap.  So guess who is super cranky.  I mean she has screamed and screamed because she is so tired and will not go to sleep.  And this child never screams like that.  (Well, except from 3-5 weeks when I was continuing to try to nurse and she wouldn't have anything to do with me.  So now these tired "I'm fighting sleep" screams are bringing back bad memories.)

I'm going crazy.  I have considered getting the duct tape out, taping her arms and legs down and taping her paci in her mouth, but something tells me that's not the best idea.  I can't handle much more of this.  I really don't like crying babies very much.  And right that crying baby is my child which creates somewhat of an internal conflict.  Amy Bogue, you sent us a link with a bedtime story for kids who are "having trouble sleeping"  I found it amusing but really couldn't relate at the time because Phoebe had always been such a good sleeper.  Now I find myself quoting this book in my head ALL THE TIME.  (Jesus, forgive me.)

She still sleeps great at night swaddled on her back, but we have GOT to do something about nap time.  I am pulling my hair out.

I want my happy baby back...

1 comment:

  1. Jen, I completely understand and feel your pain. This will pass as she gets better at rolling over but for now it is just awful. Micah just went through this phase. Sadly now he is teething. It seems that just as life gets easier something new happens to make it unpredictable again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments make my day!